Add a widget area after the header 115

Nicolas showed you how to add a block of text after the header here. But what if you want to add something more substantial, such as a search bar or a language chooser โ€” something that requires a widget area? Below I show you how to add a widget area after the header instead

Defining the widget area

Here’s what to do:

Add the following code to your functions.php:

This will set up the widget area and you will be able to see it in Appearance > widgets. (And depending on your setup, you may even find that WordPress has filled it with stuff you need to remove.)

Placing your widget area

But it won’t yet appear on your site โ€” you still need to place it on your page. This is where Customizr’s flexibility comes in, as it has “hooks” throughout the theme, on which you can “hook” your code. Add the following to your functions.php, below the code you pasted above:

This places the widget on each page, after the header; substituting the Customizr __after_header function..

Where to copy/paste this code? => in your functions.php file. We strongly recommend you create a child theme. Download a start-up child theme here.

Remember: you shouldn’t edit the theme’s functions.php.

That’s it! Now go to Appearance > Widgets, where you’ll find your widget area, ready to be filled with whatever you want. Drag and drop new widgets into the area and click the dropdowns to delete the widgets you don’t want.

Styling your widget area

You can style the widget area with the new my-extra-widget-area class that you created above, as well as styling the individual items.

For instance, you could add the following to your Custom CSS or to the style.css in you child-theme:

Have fun!

About ElectricFeet

ElectricFeet started using Wordpress for the first time in the summer of 2013. Customizr is such a great theme, it's hard not to get swept up in the fun of discovering new tricks for modding pages with (and for) others on the Wordpress forums. The fun continues :-)

115 thoughts on “Add a widget area after the header

crosswire

After doing the updates of the theme etc, my extra widget defaulted to what it was. Right now, the width of footer goes across the screen
    The extra widget is right above it, however its taken the width of the featuredpages container which is centered on the page.

Before the theme update, the extra widget was the same width of the footer below and was right above it. How can i get it back to that state.
    I had all the codes mentioned from here added to the functions and style sheets. Much appreciate it.

// Adds a widget area.
    if (function_exists(‘register_sidebar’)) {
    register_sidebar(array(
    ‘name’ => ‘Extra Header Widget Area’,
    ‘id’ => ‘extra-widget-area’,
    ‘description’ => ‘Extra widget area after the header’,
    ‘before_widget’ => ”,
    ‘after_widget’ => ”,
    ‘before_title’ => ”,
    ‘after_title’ => ”
    ));
    }

/* Place the widget area after the header – only on home page*/
    add_action (‘__after_main_container’, ‘add_my_widget_area’, 0);
    function add_my_widget_area() {
    if ( (function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’)) && (tc__f(‘__is_home’)) ) {
    dynamic_sidebar(‘Extra Header Widget Area’);
    }
    }

Giorgio25b

In case somebody is interested, the original snippet can out put the widget area also after the slider, but always outside the content container.
    This snippet has priority set to 20 instead of the default 10.

Joel Beckwith

Hi Giorgio,

This sounded like exactly what I was looking for, but for some reason the widget has disappeared from the home page.
      Any idea why?

Joel Beckwith

Nevermind! I figured it out. Your code lacked

But I got it to work! You are a saint sir!

Tiffany Scott

Thank you for sharing this. I would like to know how to get two other widget areas horizontal to it just as the footer widgets are positioned
      (1st widget-2nd widget-3rd widget), as with just this code there is a lot of white space. I would also like to change the margin in style.css to

to decrease the height of the area, but it will not stay, I’m not sure what I should be putting differently…newbie here. I have asked this question also on wordpress, but I have not yet gotten a response. Thank you very much!

Giorgio25b

Hi Tiffany,
        I’m not sure I really understand what you are asking. Are you talking about widgets to be displayed on the page? or widgets areas to be output in the dashboard via functions.php?

If you meant 3 widgets displayed on the page, this is what I did on this test example:
        in the dashboard extra widget area (created with the above function), I’ve added 3 text widgets boxes; I style them after pasting in the text widget some html.
        Maybe a link to the forum tread you are posting would make it easier to follow up.

10sGerar

I copy and paste the code exactly as it shows in here to my child theme functions.php file and it didn’t work. No widget on back end or front (obviously). Any ideas why this could be? Thanks.

Giorgio25b

I tried the code on a fresh installation and it works fine.
      Maybe you have some other plugins conflicting? Did you try disabling all of them? Did you try to activate another theme and re-activate your child theme? Maybe you can post it on the forum with a link to your site…

For your convenience this is the full snippet I’m using:

Cynthia

I followed these exact steps and it’s not showing up on my site. It’s showing up on the back end, just not on the front.

Please help. Many thanks!

–Cynthia

Giorgio25b

Ok, at this point a link to your site would be handy.
      What widget did you place inside the new widget area? can you try with a text widget and write in the widget-box some random text and see if it shows on the page?

Debugging in the dark is not easy, so if you can please provide a link.

ElectricFeet Post author

Normally, if something works on the back end, but not the front, it’s a caching issue. Your cache is serving you an old version of the page on the front end. Clear your cache.

10sGerar

I used this snippet to add a widget area under the slider and worked great. Now I need another widget area under the header so I tried to use it again and I got an error message: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare add_my_widget_area() (previously declared in… )
    Can anyone help me with this one? What do I need to do? I tried renaming add_my_widget_area to something else but didn’t work.

Giorgio25b

Here is the doubled snippet to create 2 different widget areas above and below the slider, some pure WP PHP expert might come up with a cleaner solution though:

Chuck Corvec

I have this working perfectly the way it was designed. But to tell you the truth I don’t like the i looks. I would actually like to put this widget area ABOVE the header. Is this possible.

Chuck Corvec

So when I try that I can see it above the header for about 5 seconds and then it disappears.

This is the code I am using

// Adds a widget area.
        if (function_exists('register_sidebar')) {
         register_sidebar(array(
         'name' => 'Extra Header Widget Area',
         'id' => 'extra-widget-area',
         'description' => 'Extra widget area before the header',
         'before_widget' => '',
         'after_widget' => '',
         'before_title' => '',
         'after_title' => ''
         ));
        }

// Place the widget area after the header
        add_action ('__before_header', 'add_my_widget_area', 10);
        function add_my_widget_area() {
         if (function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')) {
         dynamic_sidebar('Extra Header Widget Area');
         }
        }
        {/pre}
          Giorgio25b

Hi Chuck Corvec,
          the problem can be solved via css. It depends on what widget you put in the extra header section you just need to give it a margin-top of 5% or so.
          Here on my test site it worked out with 2 widgets and sticky header! If you link your site we can help!

Chuck Corvec

I noticed that your widget is below the header. As I mentioned earlier I want it above the header. When I make the change that Nicolas suggested. The widget would appear for a few seconds and then disappear. When I turn off sticky headers the problem went away. BUT I want to keep sticky headers. You mentioned I can change the top margin but I am not sure how to do that. The site is in development and is located at http://www.canwestech.com/dev/decsa1. Currently the sticky header is off

• Giorgio25b

The 2 widgets on the test site, are actually above the header, since I’m using the same snippet you are using. They show below because via css I moved them lower to be visible. What you are trying to do involves removing the position: fixed from the header and making it relative.
              Try to add this to your style.css

it worked on my test site, doesn’t look good but it works, you’ll need to polish the style.

Aseel Al Dallal

Hi Nicholas,

I tried using the __before_header hook, but nothing happens. I get an empty white space between the grey navigation bar and the slider instead. Here is the code

Aseel Al Dallal

As mentioned above, the widget only appears before header if sticky header is unchecked. If it’s checked, it doesn’t worked.

Also, when I add

Sticky header doesn’t work.

I want the above header widget area to be sticky, along with the header.

Rocco Aliberti

Hello Aasel,
            of course the widget is there also when you have the sticky-header, but since the sticky header is fixed to the top it will hide it.
            As you say you want your widget area being sticky as well, so it should be part of the sticky header.
            Then in the snippet above make this:
            add_action ('__after_header', 'add_my_widget_area', 10); become this

add_action ('__before_header', 'add_my_widget_area', 0);

and also add the following css:

.tc-header .brand { margin-left: 0; }

Hope this helps.

Jhoveleen

I added the code below to my functions.php but it gave me parse error. I have no idea about php. I need to know why it is error. Please help. Thank you very much.

Rocco Aliberti

Hello,
      the code you provide above isn’t the code of this snippet.

should be

As you can see you miss some lines. But maybe you just pasted it wrongly here..?
      Also dunno why you erased some parameters.

Anyway you also missed a closing brace.
      As final note you really don’t need to close the php tag ?> at the very end of the snippet.

Hope this helps.

Mila

Hi Nicolas, Rocco and others! Great template WP, great backoffice, forum, 3x thanks.
    Add original code in my site. Works all right. I want place widget inside header.
    I change original row from:
    add_action (‘__after_header’, ‘add_my_widget_area’, 10);

to: add_action (‘__header’, ‘add_my_widget_area’, 10);

widget inside header, but disappeared all menu items in header.
    Can you help me? Nice day all. Tahnk you.