I’m pleased to introduce the new version of the Hueman theme !
In v3.2.0, we’ve introduced some cool new options and improved the code under the hood.
Important speed improvement : loading images on scroll
A new option has been added in
Global Settings > Performances and SEO. It is disabled by default.
This option can really improve your page load time, in particular for mobile devices.
Instead of loading all the images of a given page from your server, which can be very heavy and slow, the theme will load only the necessary ones. The principle is simple, when the option is checked, the theme retrieves the visible images when the page is first loaded. Then the other images are displayed on scroll up or down, depending on your starting position.
Related resources :
- Speed up the Hueman WordPress theme : how to setup the WP Total Cache plugin ?
- How to improve your WordPress site page load performances ?
This new option makes the scrolling experience much smoother. The best way to see it is, well… to try it 🙂
The options is enabled by default. If you ever want to roll back to the regular scroll, you can disable this option in
Global Settings > Smooth Scroll
External Links icons
This is a simple feature allowing users to indicate with an icon that a link refers to an external website. External means that the link is not targeting the current domain or a subdomain of it.
Font Awesome icons can now be dequeued if already loaded by a plugin
Following a user request in the WordPress forum, we’ve decide to include the usage of the Font Awesome icons in a separate stylesheet, that developers can dequeued if needed. Typically when a plugin is already loading this set of icons for example.
The WordPress handle is ‘hueman-font-awesome’ for this stylesheet. The code to dequeue it would be :
wp_dequeue_style( 'hueman-font-awesome' )
I hope you’ll enjoy this new release ! 🙂
Please report any issue you might have on the WordPress.org theme forum.
Safe for child theme users
No critical update is needed for developers using a child theme of Hueman.
However, this version introduces 3 new action hooks located in the header.php templates, that might be used in a near future. If you are overriding the header template in your child theme, I would therefore recommend to update it to the latest version.
Here are the 3 new hooks of the header :
= 3.2.0 September 2nd 2016 =
- fixed : Enqueue Font Awesome instead of using hard coded @font-face rule in the stylesheet (issue #273)
- added : new option to enable a smoother scrolling. In Global Settings > Smooth Scroll
- added : new option to automatically add an icon next to external links inside the post content. In Global Settings > General Design Options
- added : new option to improve the page load performances : smart image load. In Global Settings > Performances and SEO
- improved : (php) better format for the ‘title’ tag with wp_title filter
- added : (php) plugin compatibility for image smartload, for buddypress, jetpack and ultimate resp. image slider
- improved : (js) better front end framework
- updated : Font Awesome icons to version 4.6.3. SnapChat added to the socials.